Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Preview #4
Today we look at Harsk, 11th level Dwarven Ranger.
Male dwarf ranger 11
LN Medium humanoid
Init +5 (+9 underground, +7 mountain); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +17
AC 24, touch 15, flat-footed 19; (+6 armor, +5 Dex, +3 natural)
hp 109 (11d10+44)
Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +8; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities)
Defensive Abilities defensive training (+4 AC vs. giants), evasion
Spd 20 ft.
Melee +2 greataxe +15/+10/+5 (1d12+5/x3)
Ranged +1 axiomatic shock light crossbow +15/+15/+10/+5 (1d8+1 plus 1d6 electricity/17–20)
Special Attacks favored enemy (humanoid [giant] +6, undead +4, dragon +2), favored terrain (underground +4, mountain +2), hunter's bond (companions), quarry
Spells Prepared (CL 8th)
3rd—cure moderate wounds, summon nature's ally III
2nd—barkskin (already cast), bear's endurance
1st—longstrider, resist energy, speak with animals
Str 14, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 6
Base Atk +11; CMB +13; CMD 28 (32 vs. bull rush and trip)
Feats Deadly Aim, Endurance, Improved Critical (light crossbow), Improved Precise Shot, Iron Will, Pinpoint Targeting, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Reload, Rapid Shot
Skills Climb +16, Heal +17, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +14, Perception +17, Stealth +24, Survival +17 (+22 following tracks)
Languages Common, Dwarven
SQ swift tracker, track +5, wild empathy +9, woodland stride
Combat Gear wand of cure moderate wounds (50 charges); Other Gear +3 studded leather armor, +2 greataxe, +1 axiomatic shock light crossbow, 40 bolts, 20 silver bolts, 20 cold iron bolts, 5 adamantine bolts, belt of incredible dexterity +4, headband of inspired wisdom +2, cloak of elvenkind
Some things pointed out about ranger abilities and feats.
- Rangers now have Favored Terrain which gives a bonus to all Survival, Perception, Stealth and Initiave checks when treading on that terrain. Similar to Favored Enemy, the ranger can select more than one terrain at higher levels. It's bonuses stack with the bonus gained from Favored Enemy.
- Favored Enemy grants bonus to Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, Survival and applies to attack and damage rolls. Its bonuses stacks with Favored Terrain if any.
- Pinpoint Targeting allows the character to make a single attack as a standard action that ignores armor, natural armor and shield bonuses to AC. Presumably, this attack can only be made during a Surprise round.
- Deadly Aim is a ranged version of Power Attack and uses a full round action.
- At level 11, Rangers gain the quarry ability. A ranger can only select one target to be its quarry and cannot select another until an hour has passed since the last quarry has been killed. A ranger has a +2 bonus to hit and automatically confirms any critical against the quarry. In addition, the ranger can track its quarry by taking 10 on Survival while moving at full speed without penalty.
- Hunter's Bond either grants an animal companion or an ability to give half of his Favored Enemy bonus to an ally within 30 feet of a Favored Enemy that last for 3 rounds.
- The ranger's caster level is now it's level-3 instead of half its level in 3.5.
- Swift Track allows the ranger to track and move at its full-speed or take a -10 penalty when tracking at double speed. Rangers gain a Track bonus equal to half their level (rounded up).
- Every class can now track with a Survival check so rangers get an extra bonus for this reason.
- At 20th level, rangers gain a master hunter ability that can kill a favored enemy with one strike if they fail their saving throw or deal non-lethal damage equal to its hitpoint.
Here's a snippet of the nature's ally that can be summoned by levels.
Aurochs (herd animal)
Overall I think adding Favored Terrain is a very nice touch to the ranger. The possibility that all characters can now track with Survival is also great which makes having a ranger not compulsory but more like a expert in the field. The couple of new feats introduced here are also very nice and I believe they are Pathfinder's answer to balancing called shots.
What do you think about the new ranger?