Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Preview #13
Now that we're done with the base classes, Paizo is giving us a taste of how they have worked on the prestige class. Enter Seltyiel, 20th level fighter/wizard/eldritch knight.
Male half-elf wizard 5/fighter 5/eldritch knight 10
LE Medium humanoid (elf)
Init +9; Senses low-light vision; Perception +21
AC 25, touch 19, flat-footed 20 (+6 armor, +4 deflection, +5 Dex)
hp 174 (15d10+5d6+70)
Fort +18, Ref +17, Will +12; +2 vs. enchantments, +1 vs. fear
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +2 keen axiomatic shocking burst longsword +24/+19/+14/+9 (1d8+7/17–20)
Ranged ray +22 (by spell)
Special Attacks force missile (9/day), intense spells +2 damage
Spells Prepared (CL 15th)
7th—grasping hand, prismatic spray (DC 23), spell turning
6th—chain lightning (2, DC 22), disintegrate (DC 22), form of the dragon I, greater dispel magic
5th—cone of cold (2, DC 21), polymorph, teleport, wall of force
4th—dimension door, ice storm, stoneskin, wall of fire (2), wall of ice
3rd—dispel magic (2), fireball (4, DC 19), fly (2), haste (2)
2nd—invisibility (2), mirror image, scorching ray (3), see invisibility
1st—magic missile (3), shield (2), true strike (2)
0 (at will)—detect magic, mage hand, mending, ray of frost, read magic
Prohibited Schools: enchantment, necromancy
Str 14, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 23, Wis 8, Cha 10
Base Atk +17; CMB +19; CMD 38
Feats Arcane Armor Training, Critical Focus, Critical Mastery, Disruptive, Empower Spell, Greater Weapon Focus (longsword), Improved Initiative, Improved Vital Strike, Lightning Reflexes, Penetrating Strike (longsword), Power Attack, Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Spellbreaker, Staggering Critical, Tiring Critical, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (longsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword)
Skills Diplomacy +26, Fly +28, Intimidate +23, Knowledge (arcana) +29, Knowledge (planes) +29, Perception +21, Spellcraft +29, Stealth +25
SQ arcane bond (bat), armor training +1, bravery +1, diverse training, elf blood, spell critical, weapon training (heavy blades +1)
Combat Gear cube of force, potion of cure serious wounds (4), quicken metamagic rod, rod of cancellation, scroll of limited wish (2), staff of evocation, wand of lightning bolt (CL 10, 50 charges); Other Gear +2 keen axiomatic shocking burst longsword, +4 etherealness leather armor, belt of physical perfection +2, boots of teleportation, cloak of resistance +5, hand of glory, headband of vast intelligence +6, orange prism ioun stone, pearl of power (two spells), ring of protection +4, ring of regeneration, ring of wizardry (III), vibrant purple ioun stone (dimension door, shield)
Some highlight notes and changes from the 3.x Eldritch Knight
- Eldritch Knight gains a bonus feat on 1st, 5th and 9th level.
- A 1st level Eldritch Knight gains Diverse Training which allows him to add his Eldritch Knight levels to his wizard and fighter levels for the purpose of determining level to qualify for feats only.
- A 10th level Eldritch Knight gains Spell Critical which allows the Eldritch Knight to cast a spell that targets or include the target into the area of effect as a swift action that does not provoke an AoO on the target that is hit by a critical hit.
- Form of the Dragon I allows the caster to change into a medium-sized dragon of any color which grants its attacks, breath weapon and other resistances or abilities.
- Polymorph allows the caster to become a humanoid, animal or elemental.
- The Arcane Armor Training feat allows the character to spend a swift action to reduce the chance of arcane spell failure by 10%.
- Critical Mastery (a fighter-only feat) allows the character to apply the effects of two critical feats when hitting with a critical hit.
- Staggering Critical causes the target to be staggered. Tiring Critical causes the target to be fatigued.
- The Disruptive feat (fighter-only feat) causes any arcane spellcaster adjacent to the character a +4 to DC when casting defensively.
- Spellbreaker (fighter-only feat) allows the character to make an AoO when an adjacent spellcaster fails a defensive casting check.
- Penetrating Strike (fighter-only feat) allows him to ignore 5 points of DR (except for DR/-) which increases to 10 points with Greater Penetrating Strike (16th level fighter-only feat).
- An Evoker gains Intense Spell at 1st level which gives a bonus to damage spells equal to 1/2 of the wizard level.
- Evokers can also cast Force Missile which acts like Magic Missile, once per turn.
- Half-Elf gives +2 to one ability score of his choice, the Skill Focus feat for free and pick two favored class.
- Ring of Regeneration regains 1 hp per round and makes the character immune to bleeding damage.
Although this preview is all about the Eldritch Knight but I'm more impressed by the fighter-only feats. I'm curious as to what they have done with Polymorph but this preview does not seem forthcoming with the details other than the shapes that the caster is allowed to assume.
After the tidbit from the Wizard preview, I'm quite delighted to see the special abilities that specialist wizards get which seems interesting to play.
Any thoughts on the new Eldritch Knight or feats?