So while these were easy reads and also a good place to add more monstrous knowledge about the ones that you have never even heard of, the number of lists can be a little daunting if they don't eat your brains.
Have no fear!
In this special edition of Questing's Readings I have compiled a list of links of all the known blog posts (AFAIK) that have joined in this meme. In addition to that, I have also tallied up the top ten most loved and hated monsters from the collective lists.
But first, some ground rules.
- Some monsters have been favorited in some lists but also disliked in others, so one positive vote is given to the monster that appears as a favorite while a negative vote is given when it finds itself in a disliked list. The total vote will be calculated based on the sum of votes (left) after both positive and negative votes are taken into account.
- With different taste and knowledge of monsters, the number of monsters that has only been mentioned once is considerably long. Therefore, these monsters won't be mentioned. Only monsters with 2 votes or more (either negative and positive) will be mentioned.
- Some lists mentions a specific monster while others mention a category of monsters (demons, dragons, golems, etc.). Categories will be listed over specific monsters if any exist. If a specific monster belongs to a category, their vote will be added to that category. Categories that are too broad like monster types (Aberrations, Humanoids, etc.) will not be listed and broken down into the nearest or closest equivalent in a monster category where their votes will go.
Here's the top ten list from most disliked to favorite monsters of them all.
The drow has few friends and many enemies. They started off with one positive vote but then were backstabbed with 2 negative ones because that's the way they do things around here.
9. Shambling Mound & Leucrotta
The relationship for these guys is mixed with hatred and love. Their votes were balanced out with one positive and one negative a piece but at least the Shambling Mound feels indifferent.
8. Owlbear & Goblin
They were both given 2 positive votes but also one negative votes a piece for a total of one postive vote each which puts them at the bottom of the favorite lot. Naturally, the Owlbear would have eaten the Goblin to take the spot though.
7. Airshark, Beholder, Blink Dog, Bullette, Carrion Crawler, Giants, Gibbering Mouther, Golems, Hobgoblin, Incorporeal Undead, Lich, Lizardmen, Orc, Slaad, Umber Hulk, Vampire, Wererat, Yak Folk & Yuan-ti
Each of these monsters get 2 thumbs up except for the beholder, lich and giants who would have gone up a level if they were allowed by a third thumb. Now I have to find out what an Airshark is, it sounds so awesome!
6. Giant ___, Doppleganger, Githyanki, Mind Flayer, Otyugh, Wight & Zombie
Each of these monsters get 3 positive votes but there was a confusion among the Giant animals. While there is a general liking for Giant Spiders (3 votes) but one voter was arachnaphobic. Giant constrictor snakes are cool but not giant slugs.
5. Demons & Rust Monster
DMs either like to rip their PCs apart with Hezrous or Mariliths and other high leveled demons or their gear with the Rust Monster.
It's been quite a favorite at a whopping 6 votes! I guess it's hard to beat a monster that can just take the punches, regenerates and can only be killed by fire and acid. Or is it....?
These popular critters have become an obsession for some DMs and they have proven themselves to be the most lovable among the small size creatures. I guess there's a little kobold in all of us. One special vote goes to Tuckers Kobolds.
2. Ooze, Slim & Jelly
The real winner for this one is the Gelantinous Cube. It alone taking up 7 out of the 9 positive votes. Not even the trapmaking expert kobolds could beat this invisble trap that can almost swallow anything.
And the champion of them all...
It's part of the name of the game afterall, so not much surprise there. 6 positive votes goes to the category while for specific types, the Black Dragon (2 votes) dominates over the Blue, Red and ancient dragons (1 vote each). But this victory is not without its flaws. One voter just does not agree with Gem dragons.
We also have a special award that goes to the most hated monsters.
Most Hated Monsters: Dopplegangers, Ear Seekers, Eye of the Deep, Ixitxachitl, Tarrasque
These guys are the saddest of the bunch. They all get a unanimous scorn of 2 negative votes each for what they do to your ears and eyes or because they have a funny name. Some of you guys are just paranoid.
Here are the lists of honorable mentions but did not get enough support (or contempt) to make it into the list.
Eye of Fear and Flame
Grimtooth's Trap by the Book
Dark Stalker & Dark Creeper
Kruthik & Kythons
Screaming Scarlet Itchies
Hell Maidens and their Hell Horses
Indescribable horrors from beyond space and time
Bandits pretending to be peasants
Anything with class levels
The Vorpal Rabbit
Now for the list of participating blogs in case you want to find out who voted for who or just want read about the monsters being mentioned.
A Butterfly Dreaming
Bard of Valiant
Canon Puncture Show
Chogwiz's Old Guy RPG Blog
Doctor Checkmate's Lair
Grognardia (list 1, list 2)
How to Start a Revolution in 21 Days or Less
Legends In Their Own Minds
Malevolent & Benign
Monsters and Manuals
NPC a Day
RPG Blog II
RPG Dumping Ground
Tales of the Rambling Bumblers
The Fine Art of the TPK
The Society of Torch, Pole and Rope
The Spirits of Eden(choices not included in the list for exclusive nature)