Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Preview #5
In this week's preview, we take a look at Kyra, 8th level human cleric of Sarenrae.
Female human cleric of Sarenrae 8
NG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +3; Senses Perception +5
AC 19, touch 9, flat-footed 19 (+8 armor, –1 Dex, +2 natural)
hp 55 (8d8+16)
Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +13
Resist fire 10
Speed 20 ft.
Melee +1 flaming scimitar +9/+4 (1d6+3 plus 1d6 fire/19-20)
Special Attacks channel positive energy (4d6, 4d6+8 vs. undead, DC 17, 4/day), fire bolt (+5 ranged touch, 1d6+4 fire, 8/day), nimbus of light (8 rounds/day)
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 8th):
4th—death ward, divine power, fire shield*, holy smite
3rd—dispel magic, fireball*, prayer, remove curse, searing light
2nd—bull's strength, heat metal*, silence, spiritual weapon (2)
1st—bless, burning hands*, divine favor (2), protection from evil (2), shield of faith
0 (at will)—detect magic, light, read magic, stabilize
* Domain spell; Domains Fire, Sun
Str 14, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 12
Base Atk +6; CMB +8; CMD 17
Feats Improved Channel, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Selective Channeling, Turn Undead
Skills Diplomacy +12, Heal +16, Knowledge (religion) +11, Spellcraft +11
SQ sun's blessing
Combat Gear wand of cure light wounds (50 charges), pearl of power (2nd level), scroll of flame strike; Other Gear +1 flaming scimitar, +2 chainmail, amulet of natural armor +2, cloak of resistance +2, headband of inspired wisdom +2
Changes highlighted for the cleric in the final version.
- Domains now provide bonus spells and special abilities as the cleric progresses. In this example, the fire domain gives her a fire bolt attack and fire resistance while the sun domain gives her a nimbus of light and sun's blessing.
- Light and Darkness spells have gone through a minor revamp. There are now 4 levels of illumination; darkness, dim light, normal light and bright light.
- Channel Energy can only be used to heal allies or damage undead within a 30 foot radius, not both . Evil clerics do the reverse. Clerics may take a Turn Undead feat to make undead enemies flee but it does not deal damage.
- Death Ward does not grant complete immunity to death effects but a bonus to resist its effects and even gives a saving throw when it is normally not allowed. It also removes the penalties of level drain while the spell lasts.
- Divine Power is not as powerful as it was but still provides bonus to attack and damage, temporary hitpoints and additional attacks when making a full attack.
- Remove Curse (and other ailment removing spells in general) are not automatic. Instead, a cleric that cast such a spell has to make a caster level check against the ailment's DC. This is to bring back the deadliness of these ailments past 5th level.
- There is no more Concentration skill. So to cast defensively, the caster still makes a concentration check but uses the ability score that determines the DC of their spells. The DC for casting defensively is now 15 + twice the spell level. This is supposedly balance by new feats.
This is probably the first class from this preview that has been noticeably nerfed overall. Clerics have been seen as one of the most overpowered class back in 3.x, so I hope this addressed many of its issues. While they have nerfed most of the cleric's spells, I'm actually glad that they have given more utility to the cleric through domains.
Any thoughts to share on the new cleric and some of the new rules?