Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Preview #7
This week we preview the Lem, 8th level bard.
LemSome changes highlighted for the bard and spells.
Male halfling bard 8
CG Small humanoid (halfling)
Init +4; Senses Perception +12
AC 21, touch 17, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +1 deflection, +4 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 size)
hp 55 (8d8+16)
Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +7; +4 vs. bardic performance, sonic, and language dependent effects, +2 vs. fear
Speed 20 ft.
Melee +1 short sword +7/+2 (1d4–1/19–20)
Ranged +1 thundering sling +12/+7 (1d3)
Special Attacks bardic performance (28 rounds/day), countersong, distraction, dirge of doom, fascinate (DC 18), inspire competence +3, inspire courage +2, suggestion (DC 18)
Spells Known (CL 8th):
3rd (3/day)—charm monster (DC 17), cure serious wounds, haste
2nd (5/day)—blur, glitterdust (DC 16), minor image (DC 16), sound burst (DC 16)
1st (5/day)—charm person (DC 15), cure light wounds, disguise self, hideous laughter (DC 15), lesser confusion (DC 15)
0 (at will)—detect magic, ghost sound (DC 14), know direction, light, read magic, summon instrument
Str 8, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 18
Base Atk +6; CMB +4; CMD 20
Feats Combat Casting, Dodge, Extra Performance, Mobility
Skills Acrobatics +17, Escape Artist +15, Knowledge (local) +16, Perception +12, Perform (comedy) +15, Perform (wind instruments) +19, Stealth +19, Use Magic Device +15
SQ bardic knowledge (+4), lore master (1/day), versatile performance (comedy, wind instruments), well-versed
Languages Common, Elven, Halfling
Combat Gear lesser metamagic rod of extend, wand of cure moderate wounds (CL 3rd, 50 charges); Other Gear +1 shortsword, +1 thundering sling, 20 sling bullets, +2 leather armor, belt of incredible dexterity +2, cloak of resistance +1, mwk flute, ring of protection +1, wind fan
- Bards get a number of rounds of Bardic Performance per day which is 4+Charisma modifier and 2 additional rounds for every level beyond 1st. The Extra Performance feat gives an additional 6 more rounds.
- Dirge of Doom causes all foes within 30 feet to be shaken as long as the bard continues to perform.
- Inspire Courage and Inspire Competence provide higher bonuses as the bard's level progresses.
- As the bard's level becomes higher, they have the potential to frighten or kill enemies.
- A bard can eventually cast mass cure serious wounds by performing for 4 consecutive rounds.
- Starting a bard performance is a standard action at 1st level, a move action at 7th level and a swift action at 13th level. Maintaining a bard performance is a free action.
- Bards have d8 hitdice and have no alignment restriction.
- Bardic Knowlege makes the bard trained in all knowledge skills and apply 1/2 his bard level as a bonus when making Knowledge checks.
- Well-Versed grants a +4 saving throw bonus against other bard performances, sonic and language-based spell effects.
- The bard gains Lore Master at 5th level which allows the bard to take 10 on any Knowledge check or take 20 once per day. As the bard progresses, he can take 20 multiple times per day.
- The bard gains Versatile Performance at 2nd level which allows the bard to substitute their Perform bonus with two other skills depending on the Perform skill. For example, a bard may choose to use his Perform (Comedy) bonus for Intimidate and Bluff checks.
- The Bard becomes a jack-of-all-trades at 10th level that allows him to try any skill untrained and eventually allowing him to take 10 on any skill check at higher levels.
- Glitterdust now allows save each round to negate blindness.
- Hideous Laughter allows a second save throw after the first round. If the target fails the second save then they laugh for the duration which last for 1 round per level.
- Lesser Confusion and Confusion have been simplified to determine the results. Each round the target rolls a percentile dice which can result in 4 reactions; act normally (1-25), chatter mindlessly and do nothing for that round (26-50), deal 1d8+Str mod damage to themselves (51-75) or attack the nearest creature (76-100).
I find these to be some pretty interesting changes to the bard which seems to streamline its abilities (jack-of-all-trades, bardic knowledge, lore master) while at the same time increasing their utility through the enhanced abilities of the bardic performance. It's definitely a great party member to have when in roleplaying situations.
Any thoughts on the new bard?