Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Preview #8
This week, we take a look at Lini, 8th level gnome druid and Droogami, her snow leopard animal companion.
Female gnome druid 8
N Small humanoid (gnome)
Init +5; Senses low-light vision; Perception +15
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (+4 armor, +2 deflection, +1 Dex, +1 size)
hp 71 (8d8+32)
Fort +9, Ref +3, Will +10; +2 vs. illusion
Defensive Abilities defensive training
Speed 20 ft.
Melee mwk sickle +7 (1d4–1)
Ranged +1 sling +9 (1d3+1)
Special Attacks wild shape 4/day
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th):
1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation, speak with animals
Druid Spells Prepared (CL 8th):
4th—cure serious wounds, flame strike (DC 18), freedom of movement
3rd—call lightning (DC 17), dominate animal (DC 17), greater magic fang, poison (DC 17)
2nd—barkskin, bull's strength, flame blade, lesser restoration
1st—cure light wounds (2), entangle (DC 15), longstrider, obscuring mist
0—create water, detect magic, know direction, stabilize
Str 8, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 16
Base Atk +6; CMB +4; CMD 17
Feats Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Natural Spell, Weapon Focus (claw)
Skills Acrobatics +8, Fly +10, Handle Animal +10, Knowledge (nature) +8, Perception +15, Survival +13
Languages Common, Gnome
SQ nature bond (snow leopard animal companion), nature sense, resist nature's lure, trackless step, wild empathy +11, woodland stride
Combat Gear wand of cure light wounds; Other Gear mwk sickle, +1 sling, +2 leather armor, amulet of mighty fists +1, boots of elvenkind, druid vestments, elemental gem (air), headband of inspired wisdom +2, ring of deflection +2
Male snow leopard
N Medium animal
Init +6; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8
AC 22, touch 17, flat-footed 15 (+6 Dex, +1 dodge, +5 natural)
hp 45 (7d8+14)
Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +3; +4 vs. enchantment
Defensive Abilities evasion
Speed 50 ft.
Melee bite +9 (1d6+4 plus trip), 2 claws +9 (1d3+4)
Str 18, Dex 22, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +5; CMB +9; CMD 26
Feats Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Stealthy
Skills Acrobatics +10, Climb +9, Perception +8, Stealth +13
SQ devotion, link, share spells, sprint
Some highlight changes done to the druid.
- Druids can now Wild Shape starting at 4th level and gain 2 additional uses each 2 levels after that.
- Assuming shape grants the druid bonuses similar to ability stat boosting spells and it is considered a size bonus which means it can still stack with those spells and magic items.
- Animal companions now follow a standard progression for hit dice, skill points, feats, natural armor bonuses, Strength and Dexterity bonuses. For other stats like attacks, speed and special qualities, it depends on the animal type which acts as a template.
- Resist Nature's Lure applies to effects that target plants and wood such as Entangle and Warp Wood.
- Entangle only entangles targets that fail their save and those that succeed move through the area as difficult terrain.
- Boots of Elvenkind now only gives +5 to Acrobatic checks, made redundant by the Stealth skill.
- The Fly skill allows the character to perform stunts and maneuvers like Ride. The skill is modified by size and maneuverability.
To be honest, I've never been a real druid fan which in my opinion is one of the hardest classes to play and it can be quite complicated at times with spells and animal companions. I hope that the new streamline rules for animal companion stats might make things easier but then again, it might just make things more complicated.
I'm glad that they explain what the Fly skill is for and it might be interesting to see the full list of aerial maneuvers that you can do with it.
So any thoughts on the new druid?